Interact! Post your comments, rants and raves.

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Links
Overview
Trailers, Photos
About this Film
Spiritual Connections

Click to enlargeI have to admit from the outset that most of the reviews I have personally seen and/or heard on this movie have actually been quite bad. It was with that anticipation that I went to see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

I had heard quite a bit of positive comments about the art nature of this movie and it’s filming style. I have to agree, that for me, if for nothing else seeing this movie and the observing the visuals make the movie in and of itself worth it. The grainy textures, special effects, and colorization is nothing short of remarkable. To rekindle not only a story line from the 1940’s that resembles the Old Radio Show Serial formats, but to rekindle a technique that has the visual appeal of the era is a beautiful thing to see. As one who enjoys the Old Radio Shows and has over 400 shows in my collection, I was looking forward to and was not disappointed in the visuals of this movie.

Not only were the visuals masterful, but so were the audio and dialog portions of the movie. I will agree the acting was first class and the only disappointment for me in this regard is that I would have liked to have personally seen more of Angelina Jolie. Gwyneth Paltrow is back to her usual wonderful self and Jude Law is, as always, nothing short of brilliant. Everything from the casting, acting and special effects of this movie make it an almost must for film students.

Along the way are ample places to cause us to think. Even the style of the movie does that. The days of simplicity and the basic premise of good versus evil without too much complication is a nice reminder. Sky Captain also causes us to think on a different level, it causes us to think in regards to our relation to each other, and to God.

Sky Captain does not hide the fact, especially towards the end, that there is a general acceptance of Biblical truth and teachings, for example Noah’s Ark. The issues addressed by this story are in many ways more important than the story itself. The reason I say this is the struggle with the fact that each individual must choose as to who they will follow and to what they will stay true to, ultimately love and self sacrifice.

There are other spiritual themes discussed in the movie, for example, can man take on the role of God? Are there consequences for playing God? And, the list could go on.

Here is the sad truth about Sky Captain. Most of the time I go to movies looking for “Spiritual” themes. Most of the time I am able to get them and in the process, hopefully enjoy the movie. Then there are other times that I go, and just end up enjoying the movie. Let me make something perfectly clear, I am okay with that, even though that is not always my intent. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was a movie that I just simply enjoyed. I enjoyed the characters, I enjoyed the reflection of the old television and movie serials, I enjoyed the innovative style of making the movie, and I enjoyed the bag of popcorn and diet Dr. Pepper. I enjoyed seeing my son smile and holding my wife’s hand. For all of those reasons I also enjoy that I didn’t have to think to deeply about this movie. I don’t know if that was the intent and am frankly kind of glad of it. Truth be told, sometimes I think I look too hard at trying to figure out Spiritual things in a movie when I don’t have to. Sometimes, going just to have fun is enough and this is a movie I simply had fun at.

So if looking for those types of things, then go see the movie, it is still in first run houses and the lines are down, but it is the time of year when we think about fun, we think about Robots and we think about attacker from outer space. Why not take the time to enjoy the kind of movie our grandparents would have enjoyed. Go see Sky Captain and remember the fun of yesteryear.

On a scale of 1 – 10 for the fun, excitement and recollection of movies long ago lost. A fun enjoyable 7

Links
Overview
Trailers, Photos
About this Film
Spiritual Connections

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home